Reiki and the Autumn Equinox
As the Autumn Equinox passes it’s natural that we find ourselves noticing those special signs that nature provides us to say ‘Hey! Things are changing around here.’ It might be the leaves changing colour and the air getting crisper or the sight of fallen acorns or foliage. It’s definitely starting to get colder in England and my thoughts are turning to the joys that Autumn and Winter can provide.
I think when we see the new seasons roll in, we are reminded of the cyclical pattern of nature and the immense capacity that the world around us has to transform. It feels like a time of growth and newness.
What is the Autumn Equinox?
The autumn equinox, also known as the fall equinox, is one of the two equinoxes that occur each year, the other being the spring equinox. It marks the point in the Earth’s orbit around the sun when the day and night are approximately of equal length, each lasting about 12 hours. The term “equinox” is derived from Latin, with “aequus” meaning “equal” and “nox” meaning “night,” signifying the equal duration of day and night during these periods.
The autumn equinox occurs in the Northern Hemisphere around September 21st to 23rd, depending on the year. In the Southern Hemisphere, this equinox marks the beginning of spring and occurs around March 21st to 23rd. The specific date can vary slightly from year to year due to the irregularities in Earth’s orbit.
Culturally and historically, the autumn equinox has been associated with harvest festivals and rituals in many societies, as it marks the transition from summer to fall when crops are typically ready for harvest. It’s also a time when daylight hours start to decrease, leading to the cooler temperatures and changing foliage colours characteristic of the autumn season in the Northern Hemisphere.
Celebrating the Autumn Equinox
Here are some of the ways you could celebrate the arrival of Autumn.
Take a Mindful Walk
Take some time out of your day to enjoy a mindful walk. Notice the world around you and intentionally look for signs that Autumn is here. Allow yourself to truly soak up your surroundings, what can you hear? What can you see? What can you smell? Take a deep breath – does the air feel cooler? Can you find a perfect fallen leaf?
Try an Autumn inspired Reiki Meditation
Treat yourself to some time out with a self-guided Reiki meditation. Put on some relaxing music, get comfortable and take a few deep breaths. Place your hands over your Heart Chakra or relaxed at your sides. Visualise a strong tree with leaves the most beautiful shades of red, brown and gold; its branches swaying gently in the wind. Now imagine a single leaf floating gently to the ground. Imagine the tree delighting in the sensation of letting all of its leaves drop to the ground, it lets them go with ease. Allow the pure light energy of Reiki to flow to your Heart Chakra. Visualise yourself letting go of things, thoughts and feelings that no longer serve you, allow them to float away in the air just like the leaves of the tree.
Make time for Self-Reiki
As the days get colder and darker we find that Reiki can provide a uniquely calming and grounding experience. Autumn is a time of transformation, making it a fitting moment for Reiki—a healing technique that is all about balance. Try to set aside time each day, even if it’s five minutes before bed, to give yourself some Reiki.
Reiki and Gratitude Journal
Autumn is often associated with harvest and thanksgiving. Keep a gratitude journal to log your journey this season and integrate Reiki to help focus your energies on feeling grateful. Try to write down 2-3 things that you are grateful for each day, it really does help to shift your focus to the positive in life and you start to appreciate even the smallest glimmers of joy in each day.
Incorporate Autumn Elements:
Why not select a few items like acorns, pine cones, or autumn leaves to add into your Reiki room, crystal altar or meditation space to connect with the season’s energy. Organic materials from nature can help us to tune into our connection to all living things.
Reiki and Autumnal Foods
Use Reiki to energise the food you harvest or purchase in the autumn season, incorporating the Power Symbol (Cho Ku Rei) to increase the food’s energetic vibrancy. Use Reiki to energize autumnal foods like pumpkin, squash, and apples before cooking or eating them.
Why not try creating a Reiki-infused tea using fall flavours like apple and cinnamon? Beam Reiki to the tea to infuse it with Reiki energy before drinking.
Enjoy Outdoor Workshops and Gatherings
If the weather outside is nice you could plan a Reiki retreat that takes advantage of the natural beauty of autumn. Activities could include guided meditations focused on letting go, just as trees let go of their leaves. You could also host a Reiki circle or Reiki share outdoors, enjoying the fall foliage and crisp air to add a grounding element to the healing process.
Autumnal Aromatherapy: Why not try using autumn-inspired essential oils like cinnamon, clove, or nutmeg during your Reiki sessions. Allow their cosy scents to fill the air and set the tone for relaxation and renewal.
Crystals for Autumn: Choose crystals that complement the energy of autumn, like citrine for abundance or smoky quartz for grounding, and use them in your Reiki sessions. Or enjoy intuitively selecting some crystals based on how autumn makes you feel.
Reiki for Emotional Balance
As the days grow shorter, some people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Reiki can be used as a complementary therapy to help balance emotions.
You can also use Reiki to help you mentally and emotionally prepare for the end of the year, focusing on releasing outdated beliefs or energies. By harmonizing the energy of Reiki with the natural cycles of autumn, you can create a powerful practice that nurtures both body and soul.
Crystals for Autumn
Crystals are often associated with different seasons and can be used to enhance the energies and themes of each season. In the case of autumn, which is characterized by change, transition, and a shift towards introspection, you can work with crystals that align with these energies. Here are some crystals that are commonly associated with autumn:
- Carnelian: Carnelian is a warm, fiery stone that embodies the vibrant colors of autumn leaves. It is associated with creativity, courage, and motivation. During autumn, it can help you stay motivated and focused on your goals as the days grow shorter and cooler.
- Smoky Quartz: As the days get darker and cooler, smoky quartz can provide grounding and protection. It’s a stone that helps you release negative energy and find balance during transitions.
- Yellow Jasper: Yellow jasper is associated with the energy of the sun and can bring a sense of warmth and optimism during the autumn season when daylight hours are diminishing. It’s also a stone of protection.
- Clear Quartz: Clear quartz is often referred to as the “master healer.” It can amplify the energy of other crystals and help you stay clear-headed and focused as you navigate the changes of autumn.
- Citrine: Citrine is a crystal known for its association with abundance and prosperity. Its golden color resonates with the harvest season and can help attract positive energy and abundance into your life.
- Moonstone: Autumn is a time of increased introspection and inner growth. Moonstone, with its connection to the moon and intuition, can assist you in exploring your inner self and emotions during this season.
- Labradorite: Labradorite is a mystical stone associated with transformation and change. Its iridescent colors are reminiscent of the shifting colors of autumn leaves, making it an ideal crystal to work with during this season of change.
- Smokey Amethyst: This crystal combines the properties of both smoky quartz and amethyst. It helps with grounding and protection while also enhancing spiritual growth and intuition.
- Red Jasper: Red jasper, with its earthy and grounding energy, is a great crystal to use during the autumn season to stay rooted and balanced.
- Garnet: Garnet is a stone of strength, protection, and vitality. It can help boost your energy and courage as you face the challenges and transitions of autumn.
When working with crystals during autumn, you can carry them with you, meditate with them, place them on your altar, or create crystal grids to enhance their energy. Remember that the most important aspect of crystal work is your intention and connection with the stones, so choose the ones that resonate with you personally and align with your goals for the season.
Affirmations for Autumn
During the autumn season, you can tailor your affirmations to reflect the themes and energies of this time of year, such as change, gratitude, and introspection. Here are some autumn-themed affirmations:
- Embracing Change:
- “I embrace the changing seasons of life with grace and resilience.”
- “Like the leaves, I let go of what no longer serves me, making room for new growth.”
- “I am grateful for the abundance in my life, just as the harvest season provides.”
- “I appreciate the beauty in both the falling leaves and the rising sun.”
- “I find balance and harmony in the rhythm of the seasons and my life.”
- “As day and night find equilibrium, so do I find balance in my daily life.”
- “Autumn invites me to reflect on my inner self and find inner peace.”
- “I take time for self-discovery and personal growth during this season of introspection.”
- Letting Go:
- “I release old habits and thought patterns like leaves falling from the trees.”
- “With each falling leaf, I let go of what no longer serves my highest good.”
- “Abundance flows to me like the bountiful harvest of autumn.”
- “I am open to receiving the abundance that surrounds me in every season.”
- “I embrace change as an opportunity for transformation and growth.”
- “Just as nature transforms in the autumn, I, too, transform into my best self.”
- “I find comfort and warmth in the simple pleasures of autumn.”
- “I create a cozy and inviting space for myself and my loved ones.”
- “I deepen my connections with loved ones during the season of togetherness.”
- “I cherish the bonds that warm my heart like a cup of hot cider.”
- “I find peace and harmony within myself and the world around me.”
- “In the gentle rustle of autumn leaves, I hear the symphony of nature.”
Feel free to personalize these affirmations or create your own to align with your specific intentions and desires for the autumn season. Repeating these affirmations daily, either in meditation or as part of your Reiki sessions, can help you cultivate a positive mindset and make the most of the unique energies of autumn.
Like this article? Share your thoughts in the comment box below!
And for more Reiki resources, be sure to connect with the Reiki Healing Association on Instagram, where we post daily Reiki inspiration and advice for healing and growth as a Reiki Practitioner or Reiki-enthusiast! And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, where we are pinning positive affirmations and empowering quotes every single day.
Have you read the latest issue of Universal Life Magazine yet? As Members of the RHA you get Exclusive Access to the Magazine, and to access your copy all you need to do is log in to your Member’s Area. You can get a copy of the magazine if you subscribe to our newsletter too!
More Articles For You
- The Beautiful Cho-Ku-Rei: Power in the Palm of Your Hand
- Reiki Vision Board: Releasing the Magic of Vision Boards with Reiki
- Self-Care for Reiki Practitioners
- Just for today I will be Grateful – How to Live Each Day with Gratitude
- Setting Up Your Week For Powerful Reiki Sessions
- What to Expect during a Reiki Session: Our Members Share the most common experiences