Sending Distant Reiki in the Digital World – It’s Not So Distant Reiki, Thanks to Social Media
RHA Member Maria Emeterio Explores how social media has transformed her Distant Reiki Sessions, with some top tips for using online platforms to send Reiki Distantly (Absent Reiki Healing).
“Whilst all traditional distant healing techniques still form a huge part of my Reiki practice, more recently I have started to use social media to connect with my clients distantly in new and powerful ways.”
Progressing to the second degree of Reiki is a profound and pivotal milestone in the journey of any Reiki Practitioner. Once you are attuned to the Second Degree of Reiki your capacity for healing takes on a new and expansive dimension, as you gain the ability to channel distant Reiki healing not only to yourself but also to your family, friends, and your own clients, even if they are not physically present in the same location as you.
It is the moment where the boundaries of your healing practice are infinitely expanded, as you learn about distant healing and how energy frequencies that can’t be seen, can allow the Universal Life Force to flow through you to any intended recipient, regardless of time and space.
With every distant session we are reminded of the interconnectedness of all things, and how energy transcends all physical barriers. With the right intention, we can offer Reiki to anyone in need no matter how remote they are. This type of remote healing became particularly meaningful during times of extended separation, as we saw during the pandemic.
Importantly, the core principles of Reiki remain the same whether the session is conducted in person or remotely. You still need to talk to the client ahead of the session and agree on the time and date, and prepare yourself and the client energetically for the upcoming connection. Just like in-person Reiki, distant Reiki sessions can be tailored to the specific needs and intentions of the recipient. You can focus on areas of concern or provide general energy balancing, depending on the recipient’s goals. Let your intuition guide you.
The biggest difference of course is that you don’t have the client directly in front of you to work through a Reiki treatment, so you do have to utilise one of the many distant Reiki methods to help facilitate the flow of energy.
Distant Reiki Techniques: How to Send Reiki Distantly
- Visualization: In this method, you imagine your client being in your presence and work through the healing session just as you would if they were there in person. This requires great concentration and the ability to have strong visualization skills, but definitely gets easier with practice!
- Surrogates: This is one of the most common methods used in distant healing, where an item acts as a proxy or surrogate for your client. You can use a teddy bear, a pillow, and even use your own legs by visualising the front and the back of the client’s body on each thigh.
- Pictures: You can ask for a picture of your client and place the picture either on your surrogate or between your hands and set your intentions to allow Reiki to flow to benefit the highest good of the client.
- Crystals: You can intuitively pick crystals for your client’s session and create a crystal grid to place on your client’s picture to focus energy flow. If you are also going to be doing a Chakra cleansing, then you can select a crystal to represent each Chakra and channel Reiki to the stones as representation of each energy centre.
Whilst all these traditional distant healing techniques still form a huge part of my Reiki practice, more recently I have started to use social media to connect with my clients distantly in new and powerful ways.
With platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, and Zoom available at the click of a button, I am now able to run distant sessions whilst speaking and connecting visually with my clients face-to-face. So instead of using a picture of the client to connect with them during a session, I can keep close energetic contact with the client through the screen without the need for ongoing visualisation, and I can also watch their body’s response to the energy.
I believe this ability to have immediate access to my clients has undoubtedly enhanced the sessions I can provide, to help my clients along their healing journey. We can discuss in real time what they felt or how they are feeling and then proceed with an immediate course of action.
Preparing for a Virtual Distant Reiki Session Online
I still do all the traditional preparations for a long-distance Reiki session when working through social media platforms. I like to cleanse my space prior to all Reiki sessions. I sage all the corners of the room and ask my guides to take my ego out and allow me to be a clear conduit for the Reiki to flow through me to my clients. I then sit and meditate, and invoke all the symbols by drawing a Full Reiki Sandwich (3 x Cho Ku Rei (CKR) + 3 x Sei Heiki (SK) + 3 x Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen (HSZSN) + 3 x CKR). I ask permission from the client to tap into their energy to begin the session.
How to Run a Virtual Distant Reiki Session Online
As I would in a traditional in-person session, I still ask my clients to wear comfortable clothing and begin with a welcoming chat about how the session will go and what they can expect. However, with virtual sessions, I do give them the option to leave their camera on or off during the Reiki Session.
It is important to begin by setting the intention to facilitate healing for the recipient’s highest good (always keep your EGO out). I let the client know it is time for them to relax, close their eyes and I start the session. It’s time for Reiki!
I begin with Gassho and go within to invite Reiki to join me in the energy exchange. If the client has opted to keep their camera on during the session, I can visually focus on the chakra points and energy hotspots within the body and monitor their response as the session unfolds. I am led always by Source – and I will respond to the intuitive messages, signals and feedback I receive to tailor the session accordingly and find the areas that that need more attention. I can also bring in healing tools like crystals when it feels appropriate. Once the session is over you are able to instantly discuss what you may or may not have found, and relay any messages that may have come through. This is a great time to get immediate feedback from your client.
Maria’s Tips for Virtual Reiki Sessions
- Make sure you have good Wi-Fi connections – no one wants to get cut off mid-treatment!
- Make sure you both have a quiet space to give and receive Reiki. You both want to make sure you won’t be disturbed, and you can completely relax.
- Cleanse your area before the session, as you would before an in-person session.
- Make sure to test the sound quality prior to the session starting. This is especially important if you are using music or sound healing instruments as they may not be as clear for the client to hear.
- There are several social platforms to work with for a Reiki session. I’d advise you try out a few different options to find the one that fits your session style and works best for your clients. Don’t be afraid to experiment! Remember Facebook and Instagram are free tools but you must be friend to make video calls. With Zoom, anyone can participate in a call, they just need a link that you create and send to the client, however this may incur a monthly fee. There are several options for Zoom accounts, so make sure to find the one that fits your healing needs.
I close the virtual session in a similar way to an in-person session, starting by sweeping the client’s aura and grounding both them and myself. I make sure to tell them to drink plenty of water in the hours following their Reiki session. I also encourage them to write any notes of what they saw, felt, or heard during the session so we can come back to these in future sessions.
I will always continue to use the traditional long-distance healing methods but I do really enjoy connecting with my clients face-to-face via social media. I feel the growth of these social tools has helped to bring Reiki into the mainstream, and now more and more people are hearing about Reiki and want to learn about its amazing benefits. It is an exciting time and I look forward to seeing how social media will continue to shape and enhance the way we work with Long Distance Reiki sessions in the future.
Author Bio: RHA Member, Maria Emeterio is an Advanced Reiki Master teacher, who specializes in Chakra Healings, she ALWAYS offers FREE Reiki to any parents who have suffered the loss of a child, to give back to her community and honour her GRANDSON JAX who passed from S.I.D.S.